Creating websites need to have a high-quality web design to achieve success especially in the business industry and for those who are just starting yet. The first thing that people give attention to and acknowledgments is the appearance and usability of your site that suit their needs well. If you will think of it carefully, all you need to do is make and keep a good web design with up-to-date functionalities. But, there are such common mistakes that web developers do not know or already knew but do not know how to get away with. The purpose of this content is to help those who are reading this to determine the top 10 typical website fails and how to avoid them.
Loads so slow:
Whenever you visit a site and it loads so slow, chances are you have to refresh it several times, patiently wait, or worst, just leave the website and find any other alternatives that will not waste your time. People visit a site for a certain purpose and if the service is taking so long, it will not work. Why stay and suffer if other sites serve well? This is one of the biggest failures that websites do and it decreases their chances of having traffic. To at least stop this problem and make your website attract attention, better improve your website design. To do this, keep directed with these simple ideas:
- Decrease the sizes of your images. Uploading a large image will result in slow site speed and compressing it can reduce the size of the file for a better speed.
- Choose high-quality servers. Sometimes, you have to upload large files but the problem is, it will cause slow loading and that usually happens because of the web hosting provider you are using. Use a better one because the loading speed of your files is dependent on it.
- Keep updated with your website’s report. It is recommended by Google to keep you on track with your site’s speed report so you can look and fix any loading troubles. Lighthouse is a good tool for it.
Clutter, inconsistent, and complex web design:
If you are to view something that has so many cluttered things, disorganized, and hard to understand, I dare you would just simply leave and never continue exploring it and find something else that is better. That goes the same for every website. It is annoying that there is so much on the dashboard or the home page that you can not even understand because it is irrelevant. Visitors would always look after the site’s usability rather than its fancy designs that they do not need. So here are the things you should do instead:
- Do not occupy every space instead make it clean content-rich. It is more eye-pleasing if there are more spaces with a clean and plain background. It will help your web design to be fully focused and most especially, your visitor’s attention will not be directed to other things except for your website’s main purpose.
- Provide specific spaces or places for your content. Never wrapped numerous contents into one place because it will look disorganized and will confuse your site’s visitors. You can do this by using sub-pages and creating similar topic group pages. If some contents are not that necessary, try to get rid of them so that people can only provide attention to important ones.
- Avoid changing your web design too often. Though sometimes you need to upgrade and level up your website design, you must still consider the thoughts of your visitors. Use latest web design trends 2022. Do not give them the feeling that they have come into a different website which in fact, it was the same website as before. You also have to be consistent with it because you are promoting something and what makes people visit your site is the first impression they got from it.
- Avoid complexity. Focus on the things that truly matter to your website. Do not complicate your mind too much about what to add instead compress your content and get rid of unimportant ones. Set your goals, focus on them, and make them happen.
Avoid Long Paragraph:
The majority of website visitors are time conscious. They prefer to just scan for important content rather than reading everything that is quite too long and time-consuming. The shorter your contents are, the better but never forget to instill into them fruitful and valuable content. Long paragraphs can make readers feel boredom, tiredness of reading, and your content to look at low quality. If you are interested in avoiding such a mistake, then be attentive to the following helping ideas:
- Do not limit yourself to a few sets of paragraphs. Break down large chunks of a group of sentences and separate them into smaller paragraphs. Doing so will help your content to have more space, ideas more organized, and for the readers to have a little rest in their reading. It is also advisable to create one idea in a single paragraph for a simpler conveying of information.
- Use subheadings and bullet points if needed. This strategy will help you divide long paragraphs and ideas into a simpler form yet more readable and can be easily scanned by readers. It is good because people won’t be forced to read everything while they still get your main thought.
- Create a good format for your content. Good formatting will help you create contents that have organized ideas less confusion from the readers. You can also make it more eye-appealing by using fonts, sizes of fonts, and even colors just to add a little bit of creativity.
- Use images. Some readers do not want to read all-text content so it would be good to add some photos for your content’s visual.
People view websites to gather pieces of information or explore something. In short, they are visiting sites for a certain purpose. But some websites lock a structured kind of information. When people notice it and they think they can not find anything they need on your website, they will likely jump off to other sites. Your homepage must contain valuable information and must follow a structured flow of contents for easy access to visitors. Below is a basic structure of information people must find on your website:
- Categories for products/services
- Contact Us button
Lacks Performance Analytics:
If you are not putting some attention to your website’s report of progress, then you are missing some advantages in leveling up your site. People who have the guts to test their website, track its performance, and measure its developments are those who can normally survive the competition. Why? Because through it, they can practice adjusting to the pros and cons of creating and maintaining a well-managed website. Checking out your website’s data is like giving a diagnosis and checking it out if it is doing just fine or not. You can use tools that can help you track your site’s analytics like this tool below:
- Use a website analytics tool called Google Analytics. This tool will help you find a truckload of useful bits of information about your users’ engagement and keep in touch with your website’s conversation.
Can not be accessed on mobile devices:
People commonly used the browsers of their mobile devices to visit some sites. Not all have desktops or laptops to access different sites. If your website can not give a mobile experience to people, then you are losing many prospective visitors. You have bunches of competitors and if you do not make it a priority, then you are giving a very big opportunity for them. To avoid such problem, here are some tips for you:
- Make it a priority to offer mobile devices experience. It will help you to generate website traffic.
- Try to have a responsive mobile web design that offers satisfaction to the users. It would be a big plus if it SEO approved by Google.
Can not be linked to social media sites:
Another big mistake done by some websites is that it can not be integrated into other social media sites. Linking websites to social pages can attract followers, establish trust, site traffic, as well as brand promotion. So, it is a big loss if you will ignore this common website mistake. Here are some essential tips on how to integrate your website to any other social pages:
- Provide and establish options like sharing buttons. This is commonly placed under your blog content. It will make a way for users to share your content with their social media platforms for a wide reach to people.
Poor Calls to Action option:
It is unlikely for websites not to have a Call to Action. Some may have it but with bad service. It is one of the most essential inclusion since it served as a leading guide for users in exploring sites. Without it and its proper function, it would be hard for you to have sales or even brand awareness. To develop your existing Calls to Action or to avoid such failures, refer to these actions:
- Make the Call to Action option easy to access. Always make it visible and must be explicit in providing directions to people.
- Maximize pop-ups. This might be very helpful but sometimes it can be so annoying too and distracts readers. To at least maximize this action, it is recommended to use tools that can help you show pop-ups effectively. One of these tools is SumoMe. Try it!
- Do not put so many barriers. If you ask a lot of things from the readers, chances are, they will not continue the process. Forms that ask too much of people’s personal information will make your readers hesitant. So, only ask for relevant and needed pieces of information like name and email alone.
Always showing error pages:
Consider yourself visiting a site because of a certain purpose but the page says “Error” or it cannot be accessed. Sometimes you will feel pissed-off or worse, just close the website. If your website has it, then you are giving a disadvantage to it. It is always unpleasant for your prospective audience to experience something like this. That is why try to fix the problem as early as now for you not to further lose many readers. Here are some ideas on how to fix error pages on your site:
- Redirect your target audience. Show recommendations of some alternatives like relevant or similar pages on your site.
Lacking Lead Magnets:
These days, it is very hard to get consistent visitors from your page and one alternative to achieve this is through lead magnets. One thing that websites must have is to build a strong email and personal information from their readers. But, the problem is, they will never give you such important information easily and you have to gain their trust first. Leading magnets are the offers you can provide to your target audience in return for such information. To build a prospective customer relationship, you must learn how to build good lead magnets. Here is how to do so:
- Offer your prospective audience some freebies. They will think that you are truly serious in approaching them. Plus, leading magnets like ebooks, templates, course videos, guides, and reports can be effective.
- Show them a good technique in promoting your brand. You should instill satisfaction in the minds of your audience, so that they will choose you over any other competitors.
- Offer lead magnets that are relevant and valuable. If they do not find it useful and beneficial to them, then do not expect something in return from them.
Creating websites has been one of the many strategies that businesses tend to use to promote their brand across societies. A high-quality site with user friendly web design is a strong foundation for your business venture success. But in this industry, nothing comes in a way we always wanted it to flow and the word struggle is always real. Websites are sometimes not perfect and have common failures too. But the good thing is, we can always avoid and fix it and make it better for people’s purposes.
Manoj Shukla serves SEO Discovery as the Designing head and guides his team in designing eye-catching websites. Apart from the valuable updates he shares through his blog, he is passionate about teaching. Being an exemplary learner, he inspires his team with perspectives like these.